ABTR 013 : Mastering the art of public speaking and doubling your productivity with Colin Boyd
I met Colin Boyd (this episodes guest) at a seminar late 2014 and immediately I was like ‘I’ve got to get this guy on the show’! I just knew he
Colin Boyd is an international speaker and coach working with some seriously big companies. Colin really knows his stuff. In his first speaking engagement for his new business he landed 10 new clients, one of which was global giant Hewlett Packard. Imagine scoring a giant client like Hewlett Packard straight off the bat! Awesome.
Colin specialises in two areas, public speaking and productivity. Colin has spoken to audiences of 5000 people from all over the world, so you can say he knows a thing or two about public speaking. During the show Colin shares the strategies he uses to engage audiences – so if you want to speak publicly this one’s for you.
One thing that struck me about Colin was how present and calm he always is. When I asked him about this he puts it down to mastering his own productivity over many years. Colin now teaches people how to maximise their productivity ‘to be the best version of themselves’ through his program The Productivity Academy. I can personally vouch for his program, Colin has taken 8 years of productivity training to large corporate organisations and condensed it into a 9 week online program for anyone who wants to learn. Colin shares some his best productivity hacks during the show.
Finally, we get under the hood of Colin’s online program and discuss what it really takes to build an online program and what systems and resources you’ll need to make it happen.
This episode is absolutely packed with GOLD!!!
Gold Nuggets (AKA – Key Learnings) from this episode
- Speak to one person in the room.
- Set up the ‘WHY’ for what you are about to say.
- What are the frustrations, anxieties and pains of your audience and demonstrate that you understand these.
- Don’t say ‘I’m going to tell a story’ before you tell a story.
- Use the 7 + or – 2 rule. Deliver only 5-9 key points.
- If asking for audience participation be clear on what you want them to do.
- Use music to control the room.
- Understand your energy style and which one of the 6 productivity modes you re working in.
- Reduce distractions rather than trying to focus.
- At the end of the day have a way of transitioning to ‘the third space’. Reflect on the day and celebrate your wins.
- Have the discipline to take regular short breaks to recharge your frontal cortex (your brain)
Links and Resources mentioned in the show
Thank for listening
Thanks for listening to the show. I hope you found it valuable. If you did, I’d really appreciate it if you would leave a review on iTunes, as it will help our rankings and allow me to help more people to grow businesses that rocks!
It would also be awesome if you share this episode using the social media buttons at the bottom of the post.
If you haven’t already make sure you subscribe to the show on iTunes to get automatic updates.
I want to make this show the best it can be so if you have any tips or suggestion of how I could make the show better or anything that you’d like to hear on the show please leave a comment below. I read every single one.
If you want to email me I’d love to hear from you [email protected]