ABTR 001 : Grilled Chicken, work ethic and franchising with Mick Dalton
In the episode I’ll share with you my story and why I’ve started this podcast. Then we launch into the interview with our very first guest. He’s one of my best friends and is a very successful and inspiring entrepreneur. It’s Mick Dalton from P&P Real Estate.
Mick is now a property investor with quite a few properties and owns P&P Real Estate, but he didn’t start there. Coming from humble beginnings Mick had his own businesses before spending 9 years working his way up at McDonalds. By the age of 20 brought his first property and by 23 became the exclusive franchisee for Oporto’s (Grilled Chicken) across the ACT/Canberra and South East Queensland, with a huge vision to open 12 stores in 3 years!!
Mick takes us through his amazing Oporto journey step by step. We talk about everything from sourcing locations, negotiating leases, fit-outs, staffing, finances and much much more.
I don’t want to give the story away but what I can say is there are so many valuable Gold Nuggets (lessons) in this interview you’d be crazy not to listen to it.
I hope you enjoy the show!
Gold Nuggets (AKA – Key Learnings) from this episode
• The rewards are there for those who are willing to work hard.
• The best way to learn is by doing – business is one big lesson.
• Know how you are going to market your business before you start.
• As a franchisee you are running your own business, not just operating someone else’s.
• Know your numbers and be conservative when forecasting.
• Find the balance between strategy, finances and operations.
• No when to make the tough call if your business is going to work or not.
• Know that you are not alone in business. So many people have been where you are.
• You have two choices – learn from your experiences or be ignorant and fail
Thanks for listening
Thanks for listening to the show. I hope you found it valuable. If you did, I’d really appreciate it if you would leave a review on iTunes, as it will help our rankings and allow me to help more people to grow businesses that rocks!
It would also be awesome if you share this episode using the social media buttons at the top of the page.
If you haven’t already make sure you subscribe to the show on iTunes to get automatic updates.
I want to make this show the best it can be so if you have any tips or suggestion of how I could make the show better or anything that you’d like to hear on the show please leave a comment below. I read every single one.
If you want to email me I’d love to hear from you [email protected]